Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

HELP, Relatively new PS3 gamer with some problems with graphics

Go down

HELP, Relatively new PS3 gamer with some problems with graphics

Post by GateKeeperJim on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:16 am

So I've had my PS3 for about a year, but have only played Fight night round 4, and Uncharted on it until now.

Last week I bought Hedal of Honor, Bad Company 2 and CoD:MW2 for it.
The graphics for MW2 and BC2 look ok i guess, i mean i know that they are only output @ 720 so they wont look as good as they do on my Computer at 1980 x 1080 but they look decent.

The main problem i have is with Medal of Honor. It literally looks like its output @ 480 with no antialiasing, jagged edges everywhere crappy looking resolution, wish i could take a screen shot to show but its bad. For reference here is a vid from youtube of how it "should" look:

Like I said, it looks nothing like that. I have also noticed that there are jagged edges etc in MW2 & BC2 but nowhere near as bad as MoH.

Now I use to use the ps3 on my old 27" regular tv, but recently got a new 40" LCD and hooked it up to that with HDMI.
Is there a setting I'm missed somewhere? I wouldnt think so because Fight Night 4, EA MMA, Star Wars TFU II all look stunning.
Just wondering if I did something wrong or didnt do something, or maybe somehow got a bad game disc.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so, did you solve it?
Any suggestions on what i can do?

PS. FYI, yes i did go into the settings column and go through ALL the settings options to make sure I got everything concerning HDMI selected. I even dug out the ps3 owners manual, not that it was much help.

Any help is apprieciated, thank you.

GateKeeperJim
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Re: HELP, Relatively new PS3 gamer with some problems with graphics

Post by Padders on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:23 am

Screen resolution spoiled your fun? lol

A lot of games these days are upscaled resolutions. From the video the game looks just fine. If you want a 'perfect' graphics experience, get a gaming PC.
Padders
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GateKeeperJim on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:41 am

Padders wrote:Screen resolution spoiled your fun? lol

A lot of games these days are upscaled resolutions. From the video the game looks just fine. If you want a 'perfect' graphics experience, get a gaming PC.

I think that is my problem, I do have a gaming pc, AMD Quad core, 4mb ram, yadda yadda yadda, matter of fact just bought a new vid card that pushes HDMI so now my new 40" LCD HDTV is also my computer monitor.

Medal of Honor and Bad Company 2 on the pc, on a 40" @ 1920 x 1080 is just friggin gorgeous.

That may be the root of my problem, but i have seen games run at 720 before from my older computers and older games on the ps3, and i have to say that there is got to be something wrong with MoH, I may just try takeing the disc back and swapping it for another. I know it probably wont help, but it cant hurt either.

GateKeeperJim
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Padders on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 pm

GateKeeperJim wrote:

I think that is my problem, I do have a gaming pc, AMD Quad core, 4mb ram, yadda yadda yadda, matter of fact just bought a new vid card that pushes HDMI so now my new 40" LCD HDTV is also my computer monitor.

Medal of Honor and Bad Company 2 on the pc, on a 40" @ 1920 x 1080 is just friggin gorgeous.

That may be the root of my problem, but i have seen games run at 720 before from my older computers and older games on the ps3, and i have to say that there is got to be something wrong with MoH, I may just try takeing the disc back and swapping it for another. I know it probably wont help, but it cant hurt either.
Check all the display settings
  • Full 1080p res
    Colour range Limited or Full
    RGB or YPb/CbPr/Cr for HDMI

I somewhat doubt the game disc is a problem since I find that game quite unpolished compared to BC or even MW2.

Padders
Fanboy

Back to top Go down

Post by GateKeeperJim on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Padders wrote:
Check all the display settings
  • Full 1080p res
    Colour range Limited or Full
    RGB or YPb/CbPr/Cr for HDMI

I somewhat doubt the game disc is a problem since I find that game quite unpolished compared to BC or even MW2.

Yep, all settings are excatly that. TV says output is 1080 when in the main menu, once I start up a game it switches to 720. But its a jagged, grainy piece of garbage.

Yea, i know it probably isnt the game disc either, but why is it this game is the only one that looks bad??

GateKeeperJim
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by CernaML on Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:26 pm

I think Medal of Honor looks pretty bad as well. However, the single player campaign looks stunning, especially during the missions that took place on the mountains. The game uses two different engines for both single player and multiplayer though.

I just feel that MoH is really unpolished; one hell of a rushed job as if DICE started developing it right after they released Bad Company 2 (same year). When I popped in Bad Company 2 a few weeks ago after not playing it for a while, I couldn't believe how great it looked. The maps were huge, the environmental destruction is top notch, everything was high res, and it ran silky smooth. MoH? The maps are tiny, no destruction, textures look pretty bad and it still manages to run worse than BC2. So yeah, it's not your settings or your TV, it's the game.

I look at MoH and think... what happened? DICE already has their amazing in-house Frostbite engine done and optimized. Yet they somehow managed to make something incredibly inferior with their own technology. It's like Treyarch butchering Infinity Ward's Call of Duty engine that is able to do some amazing things on ALL platforms and not just one.

People think GT5 was the biggest disappointment of the year? (they can all go to hell btw) They have obviously not played Medal of Honor.

CernaML
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum