Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

I think JRPGs aren't dying

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Padders on Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:43 pm

Maybe this is in the wrong section but I'll the admins sort that out.

Anywhoo I don't think JRPGs aren't dying. When you think of JRPGs you think of SQUARE ENIX right away. Yes they made a few bad games this gen but they don't release many games let alone publish a few. If we look outside SQUARE ENIX there have been a few good JPGs like Valkyria Chronicles, Demons Souls, Folklore and Eternal Sonata(seriously buy that game if you like the piano and a well told story). Just because SQUARE ENIX made a few bad ones, it doesn't mean JRPGs going downhill.
avatar
Padders
Fanboy

Posts : 185
Join date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by TRF on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:22 pm

I agree. There were so many JRPGs that came out this year, including White Knight Chronicles, Resonance of Fate, Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland, etc.

_________________
My Blog

avatar
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 2766
Join date : 2010-03-17

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by SlySonji™ on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:14 pm

Agreed.

OH NOEZ. FIGHTRRZ ARE DYING CUS CAPCOM RELEESED A BAHD GAYM.

Also, people tend to forget that Square Enix isn't a JRPG-only publisher.
avatar
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 2051
Join date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Zillah on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:55 pm

What Capcom game was bad?

_________________

"I chuckle when an ego and pride collide with judgement, add that to your buzz and the result is malfunction."
- Sean Daley
avatar
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 3005
Join date : 2010-02-23

http://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by SlySonji™ on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:57 pm

SpyBorgs?
avatar
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 2051
Join date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by TRF on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:34 pm

Zillah wrote:What Capcom game was bad?
The only bad game Capcom released this year was Dark Void (maybe Lost Planet 2). They make pretty solid fighting games.

_________________
My Blog

avatar
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 2766
Join date : 2010-03-17

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by SlySonji™ on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:37 pm

TRF wrote:
Zillah wrote:What Capcom game was bad?
The only bad game Capcom released this year was Dark Void (maybe Lost Planet 2). They make pretty solid fighting games.

I know that, but my post was relevant to this. It seems like as soon as Square messes up, the JRPG genre is destroyed.
avatar
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 2051
Join date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by TRF on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:47 pm

SlySonji™ wrote:
TRF wrote:
Zillah wrote:What Capcom game was bad?
The only bad game Capcom released this year was Dark Void (maybe Lost Planet 2). They make pretty solid fighting games.

I know that, but my post was relevant to this. It seems like as soon as Square messes up, the JRPG genre is destroyed.
Well that's somewhat understandable since Square Enix is the biggest name in Japanese gaming, and at one point was the biggest driving force for Japanese RPGs. There are some really good, unique JRPGs out on the market, but compare that to the amount we saw in the 90's and even in the early-mid 2000s, and the amount we have now pales in comparison. Why? Because Square Enix, which is arguably the largest developer/publisher of JRPGs, and they've been growing weaker in quality and quantity.

_________________
My Blog

avatar
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 2766
Join date : 2010-03-17

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by SlySonji™ on Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:50 pm

TRF wrote:
SlySonji™ wrote:
TRF wrote:
Zillah wrote:What Capcom game was bad?
The only bad game Capcom released this year was Dark Void (maybe Lost Planet 2). They make pretty solid fighting games.

I know that, but my post was relevant to this. It seems like as soon as Square messes up, the JRPG genre is destroyed.
Well that's somewhat understandable since Square Enix is the biggest name in Japanese gaming, and at one point was the biggest driving force for Japanese RPGs. There are some really good, unique JRPGs out on the market, but compare that to the amount we saw in the 90's and even in the early-mid 2000s, and the amount we have now pales in comparison. Why? Because Square Enix, which is arguably the largest developer/publisher of JRPGs, and they've been growing weaker in quality and quantity.

So if Capcom ever makes a bad fighting game the entire franchise is tarnished?
avatar
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 2051
Join date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by TRF on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:08 pm

SlySonji™️ wrote:
TRF wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:
TRF wrote:
Zillah wrote:What Capcom game was bad?
The only bad game Capcom released this year was Dark Void (maybe Lost Planet 2). They make pretty solid fighting games.

I know that, but my post was relevant to this. It seems like as soon as Square messes up, the JRPG genre is destroyed.
Well that's somewhat understandable since Square Enix is the biggest name in Japanese gaming, and at one point was the biggest driving force for Japanese RPGs. There are some really good, unique JRPGs out on the market, but compare that to the amount we saw in the 90's and even in the early-mid 2000s, and the amount we have now pales in comparison. Why? Because Square Enix, which is arguably the largest developer/publisher of JRPGs, and they've been growing weaker in quality and quantity.

So if Capcom ever makes a bad fighting game the entire franchise is tarnished?
We're not talking about one bad game. Square has been consistently disappointing a majority of their fanbase, and have made less and less JRPGs. Capcom has many fighting franchises, not to mention that there are other franchises that are close to Street Fighter in mass recognition (such as Tekken). I'm not saying I disagree with you, Sonji. In fact, I agree that JRPGs aren't done with yet, but I'm trying to present an alternate argument based on facts.

Also, the chance of Capcom making a shitty fighting game is near impossible. Wink

_________________
My Blog

avatar
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 2766
Join date : 2010-03-17

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:32 pm

square hasnt dissapointed us... it's square enix

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Invincible on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:45 pm

I haven't played a great JRPG at all this gen that wasn't on a handheld. FFXIII was decent, but nothing ground breaking.
avatar
Invincible
Forum Regular

Posts : 373
Join date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by SlySonji™ on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:46 pm

Invincible wrote:I haven't played a great JRPG at all this gen that wasn't on a handheld. FFXIII was decent, but nothing ground breaking.

You know Demon's Souls is a JRPG right?
avatar
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 2051
Join date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Padders on Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:51 pm

TRF wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:
TRF wrote:
SlySonji™️ wrote:
TRF wrote:
Zillah wrote:What Capcom game was bad?
The only bad game Capcom released this year was Dark Void (maybe Lost Planet 2). They make pretty solid fighting games.

I know that, but my post was relevant to this. It seems like as soon as Square messes up, the JRPG genre is destroyed.
Well that's somewhat understandable since Square Enix is the biggest name in Japanese gaming, and at one point was the biggest driving force for Japanese RPGs. There are some really good, unique JRPGs out on the market, but compare that to the amount we saw in the 90's and even in the early-mid 2000s, and the amount we have now pales in comparison. Why? Because Square Enix, which is arguably the largest developer/publisher of JRPGs, and they've been growing weaker in quality and quantity.

So if Capcom ever makes a bad fighting game the entire franchise is tarnished?
We're not talking about one bad game. Square has been consistently disappointing a majority of their fanbase, and have made less and less JRPGs. Capcom has many fighting franchises, not to mention that there are other franchises that are close to Street Fighter in mass recognition (such as Tekken). I'm not saying I disagree with you, Sonji. In fact, I agree that JRPGs aren't done with yet, but I'm trying to present an alternate argument based on facts.

Also, the chance of Capcom making a shitty fighting game is near impossible. Wink
Reason why we see less JRPGs because games cost more to make compared to last gen and lets not forget the market shift to the FPS genre. Shooters are low risk and most likely to reach AA while JRPGs is a high risk to make,
avatar
Padders
Fanboy

Posts : 185
Join date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Invincible on Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:33 pm

SlySonji™ wrote:
Invincible wrote:I haven't played a great JRPG at all this gen that wasn't on a handheld. FFXIII was decent, but nothing ground breaking.

You know Demon's Souls is a JRPG right?

I rented it a while back and it's not for me. I like my games challenging, not frustrating.
avatar
Invincible
Forum Regular

Posts : 373
Join date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by TheJubJub5721 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:27 pm

JRPG's suck anyway
avatar
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 1252
Join date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by chobo500 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:10 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway

Ban?

chobo500
Fanboy

Posts : 229
Join date : 2010-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Padders on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 pm

TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway
Last time I check that Mass Effect is an Action RPG
avatar
Padders
Fanboy

Posts : 185
Join date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by TRF on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:18 pm

Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway
Last time I check that Mass Effect is an Action RPG
But it's not a JRPG.

_________________
My Blog

avatar
TRF
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 2766
Join date : 2010-03-17

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by TheJubJub5721 on Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:44 pm

TRF wrote:
Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway
Last time I check that Mass Effect is an Action RPG
But it's not a JRPG.

Yeah...I dont quite get what that had to do with anything, Padders.
avatar
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 1252
Join date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Jamin on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:00 am

TRF wrote:
Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway
Last time I check that Mass Effect is an Action RPG
But it's not a JRPG.
Its not much of an RPG either.
avatar
Jamin
Fanboy

Posts : 106
Join date : 2010-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by TheJubJub5721 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:17 am

Jamin wrote:
TRF wrote:
Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway
Last time I check that Mass Effect is an Action RPG
But it's not a JRPG.
Its not much of an RPG either.

The first is. The second is more of an Action/Adventure with RPG elements. That is why I liked the first better.
avatar
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 1252
Join date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Padders on Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:50 am

TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Jamin wrote:
TRF wrote:
Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway
Last time I check that Mass Effect is an Action RPG
But it's not a JRPG.
Its not much of an RPG either.

The first is. The second is more of an Action/Adventure with RPG elements. That is why I liked the first better.
In other words Action RPG

EDIT: Sorry got mixed up with the topic lol
avatar
Padders
Fanboy

Posts : 185
Join date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Jamin on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:32 am

Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Jamin wrote:
TRF wrote:
Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway
Last time I check that Mass Effect is an Action RPG
But it's not a JRPG.
Its not much of an RPG either.

The first is. The second is more of an Action/Adventure with RPG elements. That is why I liked the first better.
In other words Action RPG

EDIT: Sorry got mixed up with the topic lol
Kingdom Hearts is an Action RPG. Mass Effect is more like.....a Third Person shooter where stuff levels up.
avatar
Jamin
Fanboy

Posts : 106
Join date : 2010-10-14

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Padders on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:36 am

Jamin wrote:
Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:
Jamin wrote:
TRF wrote:
Padders wrote:
TheJubJub5721 wrote:JRPG's suck anyway
Last time I check that Mass Effect is an Action RPG
But it's not a JRPG.
Its not much of an RPG either.

The first is. The second is more of an Action/Adventure with RPG elements. That is why I liked the first better.
In other words Action RPG

EDIT: Sorry got mixed up with the topic lol
Kingdom Hearts is an Action RPG. Mass Effect is more like.....a Third Person shooter where stuff levels up.
Any RPG from Japan is going to get a J thrown in front of it. Doesn't matter what kind of RPG Japan makes, it still going to be place under JRPG
avatar
Padders
Fanboy

Posts : 185
Join date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Re: I think JRPGs aren't dying

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum