Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

Opinion: Video Games and Violence The Great Debate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Opinion: Video Games and Violence The Great Debate

Post by yonny616 on Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:04 pm

Pretty long article but it has very good points Nice!
See, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to write this or not. A quick Google search brings in over a million results on the issue. I thought to myself, Quinn, with so many articles out there, is there really room for one more? Then I saw the latest quotations by the ever wise and wonderful Florida attorney Jack Thompson. Now, normally I find his claims to be pretty humorous in how outlandish they are, and this one was no exception. But, for some reason, this time they also hit a chord in me. So, what did the sultan of suave say this time? Well, the article in it’s entirety is focused on the recent change of “Taliban” to “Opposing Force” in this year’s soon-to-be-released Medal of Honor. But, the part that was the sharpest dagger into my digital soul was when Thompson exclaimed “I win again, as usual. Any gamers who don’t think so and who don’t appreciate what I do to protect our culture can go to Hell.” Now, as a frequent visitor to the world of violent video games, I am used to comments of this nature. But here, Thomson seems to have made it personal. Oh and while most of his statement did hurt a little bit, he did come through with a line sure to stay close to the top on my list of Thompson-isms, “Any gamers that don’t know how to get to Hell on an expedited basis, let me know, and I’ll send along the cheat code to get there more quickly.” Simply brilliant. For those of you interested in reading more, you can find it here. So, I figured that with people such as Jack Thompson continuing to attack video games with such fervor, the least I could do for the industry that has given me so much is to throw my own two cents into the pot. Hopefully, in a sea full of people making uninformed claims on both sides, everyone can walk away from this knowing a little more about the issue.
http://www.gamingtilldisconnected.com/index.php/2010/10/08/opinion-video-games-and-violence-the-great-debate/
yonny616
Forum Great

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrYonny616

Back to top Go down

Re: Opinion: Video Games and Violence The Great Debate

Post by Teckno on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:49 pm

I have no doubt in my mind Video Games plays as some sort of factor to these killers habits.
But, that doesn't mean you can stop violent video games. If a small percentage of these mentally unstable people destroy gaming for millions of people. That is beyond unfair.
Teckno

Back to top Go down

Post by MEGAlan on Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:53 am

Most gaming genres have violence in them. Except maybe the racing genre, but even then you can crash into other people and the walls, so that in nature would be a bad thing to do in the reals.
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by TheJubJub5721 on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Teckno wrote:I have no doubt in my mind Video Games plays as some sort of factor to these killers habits.
But, that doesn't mean you can stop violent video games. If a small percentage of these mentally unstable people destroy gaming for millions of people. That is beyond unfair.

Exactly. It is a VERY small percent of mentally unstable people, why should they ruin it for everyone?
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down

Post by TWILIGHTRULEZZZ on Sat Oct 09, 2010 6:34 pm

My solution... It's just a game

& anyone who thinks otherwise or deeper into that is a douche Silly
TWILIGHTRULEZZZ
Forum Regular

Back to top Go down

Post by Zillah on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:30 am

It's a video game. THAT'S IT. There.
It does feed into people. If that's so then:

- Life should be censored. Movies, everything.

"I chuckle when an ego and pride collide with judgement, add that to your buzz and the result is malfunction."
- Sean Daley
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Post by Stoney on Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:26 pm

Zillah wrote:It's a video game. THAT'S IT. There.
It does feed into people. If that's so then:

- Life should be censored. Movies, everything.

That's what its like in North Korea.
Stoney
Forum Great

Back to top Go down

Post by axel9 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:31 pm

first things first this guy needs to go and die in a hole along with his evil conservative mind!!!!! its not video games who mess up people its people who mess up people, in the end it all comes down to the responsibility of the parents to follow the ESRB rating system THATS WHY THEY MADE IT
axel9
Newb Gamer
Newb Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post by TRF on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:26 pm

You could say that practically anything causes violence. People kill each other over money, religion, fits of passion, etc. The only way to truly remove violence from our society is to eliminate all independent thought. Basically, make us all mindless drones. You ban video games as a source of violence, you've gotta ban EVERYTHING.

TRF
Administrator
Administrator

http://www.ign.com/blogs/Z0mb33Sl4y3r/

Back to top Go down

Post by SlySonji™ on Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:11 pm

^^

Lets ban money. LULULULULZ
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Back to top Go down