Welcome to the PS3 Nation! Please feel free to sign up and make sure you check your inbox as soon as you do! Enjoy your time spent here!

New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

 :: General Gaming :: Tech

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by yonny616 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:05 pm

Sony keeps leading the way in making new consumer electronics. if this gets into the PS4 it will be a bigger beast than the PS3.
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-3974-Game-News-Examiner~y2010m7d21-New-Sony-laser-technology-20-times-better-than-BluRay
avatar
yonny616
Forum Great

Posts : 549
Join date : 2010-07-14

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrYonny616

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Stoney on Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:42 pm

The HVD can hold up 10TB. And according to Wiki, Sony are planning on using it. Although not til 2019!

I wonder what both MS and Sony use next gen.
avatar
Stoney
Forum Great

Posts : 534
Join date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by yonny616 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:07 am

xSTONEYx187x wrote:The HVD can hold up 10TB. And according to Wiki, Sony are planning on using it. Although not til 2019!

I wonder what both MS and Sony use next gen.

Microsoft is going to use Blu-Ray for sure and Sony might use the HVD or Blu-Ray again but with more GBs
avatar
yonny616
Forum Great

Posts : 549
Join date : 2010-07-14

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrYonny616

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Zillah on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:36 am

yonny616 wrote:
xSTONEYx187x wrote:The HVD can hold up 10TB. And according to Wiki, Sony are planning on using it. Although not til 2019!

I wonder what both MS and Sony use next gen.

Microsoft is going to use Blu-Ray for sure and Sony might use the HVD or Blu-Ray again but with more GBs

Actually.. I has been confirmed that the next Microsoft console will not have blu-ray.


And why wouldn't Sony use Blu-Ray? Facepalm

_________________

"I chuckle when an ego and pride collide with judgement, add that to your buzz and the result is malfunction."
- Sean Daley
avatar
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 3005
Join date : 2010-02-23

http://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by yonny616 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:02 am

ʑɪʃʃȺɧ wrote:
yonny616 wrote:
xSTONEYx187x wrote:The HVD can hold up 10TB. And according to Wiki, Sony are planning on using it. Although not til 2019!

I wonder what both MS and Sony use next gen.

Microsoft is going to use Blu-Ray for sure and Sony might use the HVD or Blu-Ray again but with more GBs

Actually.. I has been confirmed that the next Microsoft console will not have blu-ray.


And why wouldn't Sony use Blu-Ray? Facepalm

That was for the 360 not the next xbox console
avatar
yonny616
Forum Great

Posts : 549
Join date : 2010-07-14

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrYonny616

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Zillah on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:39 am

Wrong link.


_________________

"I chuckle when an ego and pride collide with judgement, add that to your buzz and the result is malfunction."
- Sean Daley
avatar
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 3005
Join date : 2010-02-23

http://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Stoney on Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Well if its not going to use Blu-Ray (Next Xbox) what will it use? It obviously wont use DVD-9. HVD seems the most likely, thats if its pushed for an early release.

I think the 500GB HVD' will be ready in a couple years so maybe that, for both Sony and MS.
avatar
Stoney
Forum Great

Posts : 534
Join date : 2010-03-29

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Teckno on Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:10 pm

The DVD-9 is becoming outdated, Micro$oft needs to get a better format.
I think the Blu-Ray would still be great even till next gen.
avatar
Teckno
Senior Member

Posts : 766
Join date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by yonny616 on Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:54 pm

Then Microsoft will have to use HVD or HD DVD even if it is a dead format.
avatar
yonny616
Forum Great

Posts : 549
Join date : 2010-07-14

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrYonny616

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Invincible on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:30 pm

The last thing I want is another media format. I'm not buying anything after blu ray until I'm an old man.
avatar
Invincible
Forum Regular

Posts : 373
Join date : 2010-04-08

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by MEGAlan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 am

Zillah wrote:Wrong link.


If a youtube video is your only source then I don't think you have much of a compelling evidence.

In the video he stated stuff that are just blunt predictions. Like the actual name of the next Xbox, or when it will be releasing. He also stated stuff like "Halo Reach maxed out Xbox 360" because "Microsoft PRs" say so. Using his arguement, I can show you that Killzone 2 or Gears 2 "maxed out" their respective consoles according to Sony and Microsoft PRs.

So I wouldn't be suprised if his Blu-ray statement was pulled out of his a$$.
avatar
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Posts : 495
Join date : 2010-10-02

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by TheJubJub5721 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:41 am

HVD FTW that would be so awesome
avatar
TheJubJub5721
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 1252
Join date : 2010-08-24

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by MEGAlan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:42 am

Teckno wrote:The DVD-9 is becoming outdated, Micro$oft needs to get a better format.
I think the Blu-Ray would still be great even till next gen.

DVD-9 was an alright format for this generation. Bungie's Halo Reach has a shite ton of content on the disc and it doesn't even fill it up the entire usable storage space.

The only problem is for developers who put alot of pre-rendered videos on the discs. Pre-rendered video eats up alot of storage data as opposed to scripted ingame cinematics.
avatar
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Posts : 495
Join date : 2010-10-02

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Teckno on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:45 am

Alan_1994 wrote:
Teckno wrote:The DVD-9 is becoming outdated, Micro$oft needs to get a better format.
I think the Blu-Ray would still be great even till next gen.

DVD-9 was an alright format for this generation. Bungie's Halo Reach has a shite ton of content on the disc and it doesn't even fill it up the entire usable storage space.

The only problem is for developers who put alot of pre-rendered videos on the discs. Pre-rendered video eats up alot of storage data as opposed to scripted ingame cinematics.
Halo Reach's graphics aren't that impressive. So, I think thats were the left over memory came from. DVD-9 would definitely not be the smart choice for next gen.
avatar
Teckno
Senior Member

Posts : 766
Join date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by MEGAlan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:51 am

Teckno wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
Teckno wrote:The DVD-9 is becoming outdated, Micro$oft needs to get a better format.
I think the Blu-Ray would still be great even till next gen.

DVD-9 was an alright format for this generation. Bungie's Halo Reach has a shite ton of content on the disc and it doesn't even fill it up the entire usable storage space.

The only problem is for developers who put alot of pre-rendered videos on the discs. Pre-rendered video eats up alot of storage data as opposed to scripted ingame cinematics.
Halo Reach's graphics aren't that impressive. So, I think thats were the left over memory came from. DVD-9 would definitely not be the smart choice for next gen.

I disagree.

The graphics are impressive, especially for what it achieves ingame. The lighting is superb. The art style is great. The draw distances are incredible. Also, the scope and size of the levels, the variety or textures and environments, and the fact that in almost any given moment the screen is splashed with dozens of enemy AI make Halo Reach one of the most technically impressive games this generation.

Besides, there is a difference between better graphics and more content. Better Graphics require more RAM for the GPU/CPU. More content requires more disc storage.
avatar
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Posts : 495
Join date : 2010-10-02

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Teckno on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:57 am

Alan_1994 wrote:
Teckno wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
Teckno wrote:The DVD-9 is becoming outdated, Micro$oft needs to get a better format.
I think the Blu-Ray would still be great even till next gen.

DVD-9 was an alright format for this generation. Bungie's Halo Reach has a shite ton of content on the disc and it doesn't even fill it up the entire usable storage space.

The only problem is for developers who put alot of pre-rendered videos on the discs. Pre-rendered video eats up alot of storage data as opposed to scripted ingame cinematics.
Halo Reach's graphics aren't that impressive. So, I think thats were the left over memory came from. DVD-9 would definitely not be the smart choice for next gen.

I disagree.

The graphics are impressive, especially for what it achieves ingame. The lighting is superb. The art style is great. The draw distances are incredible. Also, the scope and size of the levels, the variety or textures and environments, and the fact that in almost any given moment the screen is splashed with dozens of enemy AI make Halo Reach one of the most technically impressive games this generation.

Besides, there is a difference between better graphics and more content. Better Graphics require more RAM for the GPU/CPU. More content requires more disc storage.
Halo Reach looks good, yes. But, compared to other games, not so much. Art Style and Graphics are different. Textures don't look so great from what I have seen.
Technology isn't my forte. You seem like more of that kinda guy. So I'll take your word.
avatar
Teckno
Senior Member

Posts : 766
Join date : 2010-06-19

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by MEGAlan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:07 am

Teckno wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
Teckno wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
Teckno wrote:The DVD-9 is becoming outdated, Micro$oft needs to get a better format.
I think the Blu-Ray would still be great even till next gen.

DVD-9 was an alright format for this generation. Bungie's Halo Reach has a shite ton of content on the disc and it doesn't even fill it up the entire usable storage space.

The only problem is for developers who put alot of pre-rendered videos on the discs. Pre-rendered video eats up alot of storage data as opposed to scripted ingame cinematics.
Halo Reach's graphics aren't that impressive. So, I think thats were the left over memory came from. DVD-9 would definitely not be the smart choice for next gen.

I disagree.

The graphics are impressive, especially for what it achieves ingame. The lighting is superb. The art style is great. The draw distances are incredible. Also, the scope and size of the levels, the variety or textures and environments, and the fact that in almost any given moment the screen is splashed with dozens of enemy AI make Halo Reach one of the most technically impressive games this generation.

Besides, there is a difference between better graphics and more content. Better Graphics require more RAM for the GPU/CPU. More content requires more disc storage.
Halo Reach looks good, yes. But, compared to other games, not so much. Art Style and Graphics are different. Textures don't look so great from what I have seen.
Technology isn't my forte. You seem like more of that kinda guy. So I'll take your word.

From what it sounds, you don't really like Halo Reach's art style. Which is understandable since most shooter games favor a more gritty color pallete (like KZ). There is also a difference between visual fidelity and technical prowess. Halo Reach's engine definantely puts a huge drain on the Xbox 360's resources.
avatar
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Posts : 495
Join date : 2010-10-02

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Zillah on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:55 am

For next gen? Which is about 4-8 years ahead?
I think DVD-9 wouldn't work at all.

_________________

"I chuckle when an ego and pride collide with judgement, add that to your buzz and the result is malfunction."
- Sean Daley
avatar
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 3005
Join date : 2010-02-23

http://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Pizzy3C on Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:08 am

Alan_1994 wrote:
From what it sounds, you don't really like Halo Reach's art style. Which is understandable since most shooter games favor a more gritty color pallete (like KZ). There is also a difference between visual fidelity and technical prowess. Halo Reach's engine definantely puts a huge drain on the Xbox 360's resources.

I can't stand KZ2's color pallet... Halo is a bit over the top with the colors aswell...
avatar
Pizzy3C
Forum Great

Posts : 569
Join date : 2010-04-30

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by MEGAlan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:12 am

Zillah wrote:For next gen? Which is about 4-8 years ahead?
I think DVD-9 wouldn't work at all.

Agreed, it was alright for this gen but next gen Microsoft should and probably will use a different format.
avatar
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Posts : 495
Join date : 2010-10-02

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by SlySonji™ on Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:06 pm

Alan_1994 wrote:
Zillah wrote:For next gen? Which is about 4-8 years ahead?
I think DVD-9 wouldn't work at all.

Agreed, it was alright for this gen but next gen Microsoft should and probably will use a different format.

It was alright. At first. Imagine a 50GB Halo game?
avatar
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 2051
Join date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Zillah on Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:40 pm

Alan_1994 wrote:
Zillah wrote:For next gen? Which is about 4-8 years ahead?
I think DVD-9 wouldn't work at all.

Agreed, it was alright for this gen but next gen Microsoft should and probably will use a different format.

A different format? Even though that's their only choice, it's not the best. Blu-Ray is the best, and that's why the next Wii is gonna have it.
People don't wanna buy a ANOTHER new player to play movies and stuff.

_________________

"I chuckle when an ego and pride collide with judgement, add that to your buzz and the result is malfunction."
- Sean Daley
avatar
Zillah
Administrator
Administrator

Posts : 3005
Join date : 2010-02-23

http://www.youtube.com/user/KidZiLLah

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by MEGAlan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:08 pm

SlySonji™ wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
Zillah wrote:For next gen? Which is about 4-8 years ahead?
I think DVD-9 wouldn't work at all.

Agreed, it was alright for this gen but next gen Microsoft should and probably will use a different format.

It was alright. At first. Imagine a 50GB Halo game?

Name me one PS3 exclusive that uses a dual-layered Blu-ray AND has 2-3 times the content as X360 games.

Content is not an issue. It's stuff like pre-rendered cinematic videos, audio quality and the fact that it has to be compressed in DVD9, etc. Disc space doesn't usually control how much content a developer puts in a game, that's largely up to the budget of the developers/publisher. Some developers have even learned great ways to compress game content on a DVD disc with little to no quality loss in the actual product. Rockstar developers were complaining back in 2008 that GTA 4 content and areas had to be cut because of the Xbox 360's DVD...2 years later they release Red Dead Redemption which has better graphics and twice the amount of explorable area.

The way I see it, practically the only games that truely suffered from this limitation are RPGs (FFXIII, Mass Effect 2) and racing games (Forza Motorsport 3) which require developers to use multiple discs.

avatar
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Posts : 495
Join date : 2010-10-02

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by SlySonji™ on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Alan_1994 wrote:
SlySonji™ wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
Zillah wrote:For next gen? Which is about 4-8 years ahead?
I think DVD-9 wouldn't work at all.

Agreed, it was alright for this gen but next gen Microsoft should and probably will use a different format.

It was alright. At first. Imagine a 50GB Halo game?


The way I see it, practically the only games that truely suffered from this limitation are RPGs (FFXIII, Mass Effect 2) and racing games (Forza Motorsport 3) which require developers to use multiple discs.


That's my point... What happens when a bigger game comes along and it has to be put on 5 discs?

avatar
SlySonji™
PS3 Nation Greats

Posts : 2051
Join date : 2010-05-25

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by MEGAlan on Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:17 pm

SlySonji™ wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
SlySonji™ wrote:
Alan_1994 wrote:
Zillah wrote:For next gen? Which is about 4-8 years ahead?
I think DVD-9 wouldn't work at all.

Agreed, it was alright for this gen but next gen Microsoft should and probably will use a different format.

It was alright. At first. Imagine a 50GB Halo game?


The way I see it, practically the only games that truely suffered from this limitation are RPGs (FFXIII, Mass Effect 2) and racing games (Forza Motorsport 3) which require developers to use multiple discs.


That's my point... What happens when a bigger game comes along and it has to be put on 5 discs?


That's not possible......Unless racing sim developers are fully modeling 4000-5000 cars, and that would require a HUGE budget AND time. As for RPGs, if game developers use pre-rendered video then yes it is possible that a 5-disc game will come along....but that again is highly unlikely considering the hate the X360 version of FFXIII got. I'd imagine by now that MOST developers have switched to scripted ingame cinematics which don't use anywhere near the same amount of space that pre-rendered uses.
avatar
MEGAlan
Forum Regular

Posts : 495
Join date : 2010-10-02

Back to top Go down

Re: New SONY laser tech 20 times better than Blu-Ray

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 :: General Gaming :: Tech

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum